New Survey Unveils 7 in 10 Consumers Agree Packaging Design Can Influence Purchasing Decisions
Ever wonder why consumers may choose one product over another? Sometimes the proof is in the packaging. A national study conducted by the Paper and Packaging Board (paperandpackaging.org) and IPSOS (ipsos.com) just in time for National Packaging Design Day shows that 7 in 10 (72%) of consumers agree that packaging design can influence their purchasing decision. Packaging is often the first interaction that shoppers have with a product. It is tactile and intimate. It tells a story, sets the tone and provides a tangible experience for consumers. It showcases a brand and its unique identity.
Here are some key survey statistics about how packaging influences consumer decisions:
- 67% of consumers agree that when selecting which products to buy, they’re often influenced by the material they’re packaged in.
- 68% of consumers said they were most likely to buy something in a paper or cardboard package if given the choice between paper or plastic.
- 71% of consumers said they were more likely to buy brands that package their products in paper or cardboard, than in other materials.
- 63% of consumers said that they were more likely to buy products packaged in paper or cardboard because they can reuse the packaging.
- 63% of consumers said that paper and cardboard packaging makes a product seem premium or high quality.
One factor contributing to preference for paper-based packaging is the design. Most (83%) agree that paper and cardboard packaging can be innovative. In fact, roughly 70% Americans feel that this type of packaging allows for more creative packaging designs than other packaging materials (75%) and that products packaged in paper or cardboard seem more artisanal or handcrafted (69%).
Packaging plays an important role in a variety of industries, from subscription boxes to flower delivery. Liz O’Neal of UrbanStems, a structural engineer by training and now their head of brand experience, says, “For us, the packaging is all about protecting the petals and the flowers to the best of our ability. We design our packaging to deliver fresh product, great graphics, and a really superior unboxing experience.”