PACK EXPO Las Vegas Returns in September
The 2023 edition ranks as the most comprehensive packaging and processing show in North America this year
PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2023 will be held Sept. 11–13, 2023 at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Produced by PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies, the show ranks as the most comprehensive packaging and processing event in North America in 2023 and offers opportunities to address packaging and processing needs; discover new technologies and products; network with industry experts, peers, and students; and learn about industry trends, hot topics, and best practices.
Focused on cutting-edge packaging and processing solutions, the show floor features more than 2,000 suppliers, showcasing innovations for more than 40 vertical markets.
“Our industry is stronger than ever and positioned for unprecedented growth, making the kinds of connections and innovations that come from a world-class trade show more crucial than ever,” says Jim Pittas, president & CEO, PMMI. “The unrivaled opportunities to explore and learn about all available packaging and processing solutions and innovations are endless. PACK EXPO Las Vegas attendees can tap into our ever-growing industry, gain critical insights on market trends, move projects forward, forge relationships, and see the latest technologies — all in one place.”
Attendees will benefit from a multitude of new and familiar show features including, a focus on sustainability; networking and special events; free educational opportunities; an array of pavilions and an opportunity to see innovations created by students pursuing careers in the packaging industry.
Focus on Sustainability
Attendees can look for the PACK EXPO Green icon that identifies exhibitors providing sustainable solutions via new materials, technology, or strategies such as sustainable processes and machines, renewable and biodegradable packaging, source reduction and lightweighting, recyclable and recycled-content materials, or innovations that reduce carbon footprint. The PACK EXPO Green icon also highlights educational sessions focused on sustainability.
A new area, Sustainability Central in the North Hall and the accompanying Sustainability Stage (Booth N-9967), will serve as an interactive destination offering an expansive look into what sustainability means and will provide actionable sustainable solutions in manufacturing, materials, and design.
Sustainability Central will highlight the current state of six key areas of packaging sustainability and ask “what if” questions encouraging attendees to think about how these areas influence their own work. The exhibit will focus on meeting attendees where they are, state facts, and serve as a resource for those who want to learn more about making their brands more sustainable.
The six key areas include:
- Design — Using minimal materials and renewable resources
- Materials — Application, labels, mono materials, downcycling
- Manufacturing — Design for inclusivity of all steps
- Recovery — Downcycling, design for sustainable alternatives, elimination of problematic packaging (magnets, films, etc.)
- Logistics — Right-sized package, master cartons, weight considerations, modularity
- Data — Facts to drive design decisions.
At the Sustainability Stage (Booth N-9967), attendees will hear from experts on a range of packaging sustainability topics.
Networking and special events
Attendees at PACK EXPO Las Vegas will have a chance to participate in special events before and during the show, including the PMMI Foundation Golf Tournament at the Bali Hai Golf Club, on Sunday, Sept. 10, and the PACK gives BACKTM fundraiser for the PMMI Education Foundation that evening, plus the Packaging & Processing Women’s Leadership Network Breakfast on Tuesday, Sept. 12.
PACK gives BACKTM is an all-new format this year, a private performance of O™ by Cirque du Soleil®. This aquatic and acrobatic extravaganza will be held at the Bellagio Hotel & Casino. Tickets are available for single purchase or in blocks of 10 and include general admission seating and drinks/snacks at the theater.
The show schedule also includes special programming throughout the event for first-time attendees and young professionals as well as an Ask the Experts program (Booths C-1100, C-5699) where experienced industry executives help attendees locate the packaging or processing solution they need.
Free educational opportunities
Free education is a major feature of PACK EXPO trade shows. All sessions are free for registered attendees. Simply take a seat and participate.
The new Industry Speaks Stage (Booth C-1141) located in the Central Hall, features experts from the PACK EXPO Partner Program, representing various industry verticals. Industry experts will speak about the latest hot topics and industry trends such as remote access, supply chain solutions, augmented reality, operational efficiency, and sustainability.
Innovation Stages (Booths C-2051, C-2058, C-2151) features 30-minute seminars on breakthrough technologies and best practices presented by suppliers and subject matter experts.
The Forum (Booth C-2158) offers an interactive knowledge exchange about the latest industry trends via 45-minute sessions with experts from organizations such as the OpX Leadership Network; CPA, The Association for Contract Packagers and Manufacturers; The Organization for Machine Automation and Control (OMAC); and PMMI Business Intelligence.
Processing Innovation Stage (Booth N-10511) sessions introduce the latest breakthroughs in technology.
At the Reusable Packaging Learning Center (Booth SU-8000), learn about how a reusable packaging system can improve material-handling performance, reduce operating costs, create new economic values, and lower the environmental impacts of your supply chain.
An array of pavilions
The show floor features pavilions devoted to particular packaging and processing industries, technologies, and organizations, and will feature 2,000 exhibits representing 40 verticals:
The Logistics Pavilion is another PACK EXPO Las Vegas debut, addressing a topic that ranks in the top five searches on the PACK EXPO website. With the boom in e-commerce, the Logistics Pavilion in the North Hall will be the place to find targeted solutions related to moving the product from manufacturer to consumer. Participating exhibitors include warehousing, fulfillment, distribution logistics, and transportation service providers.
Also new for the Vegas show, the Healthcare Packaging Pavilion, targets attendees working in businesses devoted to life sciences, a key market segment. This “show within a show” on the lower level of the South Hall will house innovations for pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, and medical devices.
The show floor also includes pavilions devoted to other industries, technologies, and organizations.
- The Confectionery Pavilion, hosted by the National Confectionery Association, will feature the latest trends relating to aeration, batch refining, shaping, cluster production, and other candy-making technologies. This pavilion also provides a spot to take a break and recharge at the Candy Bar Lounge (Booth SU-7201), sponsored by Syntegon Packaging Technology (Booth C-2800).
- The Processing Zone presents solutions to help increase efficiency, achieve total system integration, and ensure employee safety. Roughly 50% larger than it was in 2021, this area of the show floor offers an array of front-of-the-line solutions such as homogenizing, heat treating, forming/sizing, and coating. It also hosts the Processing Innovation Stage (Booth N-10511).
- The Containers and Materials Pavilion will display the latest innovations in paperboard, glass, metal, plastic, flexible, and resealable packaging, as well as containers and materials. Located in the North Hall, the pavilion houses The Showcase of Packaging Innovations® (Booth N-9550). Sponsored by WestRock (Booth C-2023), this attendee favorite will display award-nominated packaging solutions.
- The PACKage Printing Pavilion in the North Hall will focus on the advantages of digital printing, showcasing the latest in cost-effective solutions for smart, short-run, on-demand, variable data, and personalized packaging.
- The Reusable Packaging Pavilion, sponsored by the Reusable Packaging Association, will present sustainable packaging solutions to help reduce waste, cut costs, and gain supply chain efficiency. This pavilion in the South Upper Hall also houses the Reusable Packaging Learning Center (Booth SU-8000).
- The Workforce Development Pavilion (Booths N-9000–N-9026) is a one-stop shop for resources to strengthen the workforce. Learn about PMMI U offerings, including popular training workshops, and meet students interested in careers in the industry.
- The Association Partner Pavilion (Booths C-1145–C-1354) houses participants in the PACK EXPO Partner Program and connects attendees to leading associations from all segments of packaging and processing.
PACK EXPO inspires students
PACK EXPO Las Vegas offers many programs and activities aimed at exciting students about careers in packaging and processing:
At the Future Innovators Robotics Showcase (Booth N-9769), robotics teams from Las Vegas-area high schools show robots they have designed and built and field questions from showgoers.
On the last day of PACK EXPO Las Vegas, the Amazing Packaging Race returns. Sponsored by Emerson (Booth SL-6107), this event provides firsthand experiences with career possibilities in the packaging and processing industry. Teams from colleges, trade schools, and universities across the U.S. race around the show floor to complete tasks or solve problems at the booths of participating exhibitors.
Meet the champions from the 2022 PACK Challenge (Booth N-9026) and see the winning filler machine from the team at Waterford Union High School in Waterford, Wisconsin. Information about the 2024 competition and the upcoming Chicago-area qualifying event where finalists will be selected will be available.
To learn more about PACK EXPO Las Vegas or to register, go to packexpolasvegas.com.