Creating New, Lightweight Solutions for Olive Oil
Converting its traditional extra virgin olive oil bottle from glass to plastic allows Morixe Hnos to export its oil across Brazil to meet growing demand. The lightweight polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottle, custom designed by Amcor, replicates the touch and feel of the incumbent glass container while reducing the overall costs associated with exports.
In addition to being lightweight, the 500 milliliters PET bottle reportedly delivers major manufacturing efficiencies, will not shatter, and offers greater sustainability advantages than its glass predecessor, including:
- A 78 percent reduction in CO2 emissions which equates to 217 cars operating for a year (per million bottles);
- A 61 percent energy reduction during production which equates to 5190 household lights turned on annually (per million bottles);
- 15 percent higher line speeds, less breakage, and savings in secondary packaging;
- 60 percent more finished product per truck, thus substantially reducing transportation and logistics costs; and
- 90 percent lighter in weight.
Consumers will also find the bottle has the same shelf appeal as Amcor worked closely with Morixe to maintain its brand identity by incorporating several design features including the same straight shoulder angle (near 90 degrees).
“The project gives us great satisfaction as a team because it confirms that, with the right partners, we can innovate and improve as a company,” said Martin Noel, projects and business development manager, Morixe. ”Amcor provided us with industry-leading expertise and the technical tools that gave us an invaluable opportunity for growth and a competitive advantage in the edible oil market.”
Morixe is also expected to use lightweight PET bottles for additional product lines in the near future.
PET, which has rapidly become the world’s preferred packaging material, is lightweight, shatterproof, reclosable, resealable, reusable and infinitely recyclable. In the midst of today’s hygiene concerns, capped and sealed PET bottles keep food and beverages protected from pathogens like viruses and bacteria. They are also sealed to combat contamination and re-sealable for ongoing protection.
For more information, visit https://morixe.com.ar.