Mettler-Toledo’s Latest ProdX Software Ushers in Industry 4.0 Capabilities
Mettler-Toledo Product Inspection is giving food manufacturers critical assistance as they gear up for the food industry’s fast-approaching digital transformation, with the release of a new, significantly updated version of its ProdX product inspection management software.
Based on Industry 4.0 principles of secure machine-to-machine communication, and in preparation for connectivity to the latest data-protective Blockchain technology, ProdX 2.4 delivers full digital track & trace and real-time food safety compliance.
Specific enhancements include:
- Security features, such as enhanced password rules to enforce the use of strong passwords which must be centrally verified by the software;
- Security across firewalls, with enhanced Open Platform Communication Unified Architecture (OPC UA) encrypted machine-to-machine communication, including tags for performance test results, seamlessly shared with high-end systems such as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Manufacturing Execution System (MES);
- Automatically logged performance test data to fulfill food safety regulations;
- Full support for batch changeovers which means that an individual product can be automatically traced via its unique serial number; and
- Fail-safe testing regime for product inspection, ensuring due diligence and compliant performance.
Enhanced security features reportedly ensure that food manufacturers can demonstrate full accountability and transparency, with individual password control, centrally verified and linked to each machine operator or team leader’s role and access privileges.
Data is automatically captured and is tamper-proof within ProdX 2.4, including metadata, guaranteeing the integrity of the data in the system. In this way, the new software reportedly exceeds the requirements of British Retail Consortium Global Standard (BRCGS) Food Safety Clause 6.3.3, which establishes global minimum legal, operational and testing standards for the operation of online checkweighers.
ProdX is positioned to profoundly change the ways that food manufacturers manage food safety. Instead of manual data input and box ticking, measures such as regular compliance performance tests can be automated, and the results are logged digitally without human intervention.
This fail-safe testing regime means that food manufacturers could prove, with the correct documentation, that their product inspection equipment has continued to meet compliant performance standards throughout production, at the batch level, or even individual item level.
For more information, visit https://www.mt.com.