Milliken to Showcase at Pack Expo International 2022 Novel Plastic Additives that Advance Sustainability
Global manufacturer will discuss value chain collaborations for circularity
Milliken & Company, a diversified global manufacturer with more than 70 locations around the world, will feature a growing array of partnerships and innovative additive technologies aimed at moving the circular economy forward during Pack Expo International 2022. At its booth (#LU-8840), Milliken will show how leveraging creative innovation, trusted expertise and collaboration across the value chain has helped the company develop solutions that can make plastics more reusable, recyclable and efficient. Milliken offers customers opportunities to achieve sustainability goals through lightweighting, upgrading recycled content, conserving energy, simplifying recycling with mono-materials, and reducing carbon footprint via inter-material replacement of less-sustainable resins.
Milliken has engaged with many organizations in purposeful collaborations that include its ongoing partnership with PureCycle Technologies, whose patented technology turns recycled polypropylene (PP) into virgin-like material. By participating in these industry relationships, Milliken is helping to advance the circular economy through chemistry—part of the company’s 2025 Sustainability Goals.
At Pack Expo International 2022 Milliken will exhibit:
- Millad® NX® 8000 ECO, a clarifying agent for PP that enables faster production rates and reduced energy use. This product is certified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) to provide an average energy savings of 10 percent during the injection molding process.
- NX® UltraClear™ Concentrates for PP, which replace the milky appearance of standard PP with high clarity and gloss for packaging applications. In addition to easy recyclability, NX UltraClear PP is lighter in weight, consumes less energy and produces lower emissions vs. other clear packaging alternatives.
- DeltaMax® performance modifiers for PP impact copolymers (ICPs), which enable an improved balance of material properties and optimize processing efficiencies. INVISTA, a leading U.S. PP resin manufacturer, uses DeltaMax modifiers to produce a new ICP for thin-wall injection molded (TWIM) food packaging. In this material, DeltaMax modifiers deliver superior impact strength, high melt flow and good stiffness simultaneously.
- Hyperform® HPN® performance additives for PP, which deliver an improved balance of stiffness, impact resistance and appearance while reducing energy use. Hyperform HPN additives are certified by UL to enable 5-8 percent energy savings when used as a nucleator for TWIM container lids and similar PP applications.
- UltraGuard™ Solutions, which enable downgauging to reduce material usage and part weight while improving barrier properties in polyethylene (PE). These enhancements allow designers to create more products with mono-materials to facilitate recycling.
“The plastic circularity challenge is solvable, and we’re confident that collaborating with partners and customers will accelerate success faster than anyone would believe.” said Paul Kearns, Sustainable Development Manager, Plastic Additives, Milliken Chemical. “We invite attendees to meet with us at Pack Expo International and learn how Milliken chemistry is advancing sustainability for plastics.”
Advancing Circular Change for the Future
With a focus on the future, Milliken is developing new solutions that will enable the entire industry to increase circularity, reduce raw material and energy usage, and raise the percentage of plastics that are recycled. As a leader in the plastics ecosystem, the company contributes its expertise to numerous industry-spanning initiatives. These include the Alliance to End Plastic Waste, The Recycling Partnership, the Association of Plastic Recyclers, the HolyGrail 2.0 project to improve the sorting of waste plastics via digital watermarks, and the RecyClass recycled-content certification program for packaging.
For more information, visit Milliken at Pack Expo International (booth #LU-8840) in Chicago, Ill., Oct. 23-26, 2022.
Milliken & Company is a global manufacturing leader whose focus on materials science delivers tomorrow’s breakthroughs today. From industry-leading molecules to sustainable innovations, Milliken creates products that enhance people’s lives and deliver solutions for its customers and communities. Drawing on thousands of patents and a portfolio with applications across the textile, flooring, chemical and healthcare businesses, the company harnesses a shared sense of integrity and excellence to positively impact the world for generations. Discover more about Milliken’s curious minds and inspired solutions at milliken.com and on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.