Colgate-Palmolive Commits to Recyclability of Plastics in All Packaging
As part of its commitment to protect our environment, Colgate-Palmolive has committed to 100% recyclability of plastics in packaging across all its product categories by 2025. The company has already made significant progress in advancing its 2020 packaging sustainability goals, and currently 98% of its packaging is PVC-free.
Colgate’s 2017 Sustainability Report, titled “Building a Future to Smile About,” details the new recyclability goal and Colgate’s long-standing commitments, ongoing progress and latest achievements in sustainability and corporate social responsibility. In addition to our new commitment on recyclability of plastics, Colgate is proud to highlight the following aspects of the report:
- Water Conservation: As part of ongoing efforts of making #EveryDropCount, Colgate reduced its water use per ton of production by nearly 47% vs. 2002. Colgate continues to reach consumers with the Save Water message and has activated the Save Water campaign in over 70 countries with engaging messages to “Turn Off the Tap When Brushing,” reaching nearly 3 billion people.
- Bright Smiles, Bright Futures™: Colgate’s oral health education program has reached nearly 1 billion children since its launch in 1991. Its new goal is to reach 1.3 billion children by 2020.
- Palm Oil: The Company remains committed to reaching its goal of using 100% sustainable palm oil, and we expect to achieve this goal in 2018. By the end of the year, Colgate also expects to disclose 100 percent of the mills that supply us directly from our four largest palm oil suppliers, which together account for more than 80% of our purchases.
- UN Global Compact and Sustainable Development Goals: The Company has confirmed its support for the UN Global Compact and principles on human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption, and endorsed the UN CEO Water Mandate to help advance water stewardship, sanitation, and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Colgate has achieved and surpassed its 2020 science-based climate goal of reducing absolute greenhouse gas emissions from manufacturing by 25% vs. 2002.
Collectively, these efforts have contributed to Colgate achieving strong results and earning recognition as a U.S. EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for Sustained Excellence for the 7th consecutive year, being named to both the 2017 Dow Jones Sustainability World and North America Indices, and earning placement on the CDP Climate A List and CDP Water A List, making Colgate-Palmolive the highest ranked U.S. based company in our industry.