Total packaging industry deals for Q4 2019 worth $2.73 billion were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database. The value marked an increase of 17.2 percent over the previous quarter and a drop of 58.3 percent when compared with the last four-quarter average of $6.55 billion.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 7.8 percent over the last four-quarter average with 83 deals against the average of 90 deals. In value terms, Asia-Pacific led the activity with deals worth $1.91 billion.
Q4 2019 Top Deals
The top five packaging deals accounted for 88.5 percent of the overall value during Q4 2019. The combined value of the top five packaging deals stood at $2.41 billion, against the overall value of $2.73 billion recorded for the month.
The top five packaging industry deals of Q4 2019 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Nippon Paper Industries’ $1.16 billion asset transaction with Orora
- The $583 million acquisition of Tailim Packaging and Tailim Paper by Sae-A Trading
- Pixelle Specialty Solutions’ $400 million asset transaction with Verso
- The $180 million asset transaction with Transcontinental by Hood Packaging
- Cascades’ acquisition of Greenpac Holding for $93 million.